5.19.2004

Panties vs. Underwear

So, I come home yesterday and check my mailbox, as usual. Nestled among the circulars, the "Have you seen me?" flier and a solicitation to become a member of Triple A, is a V!ctoria's Secret catalog. Not that there is anything unusual about this since they send them to me about 3 times a month (why bother since I only shop there about twice a year?), but I couldn't help but flip through the pages of pretty underwear and it got me thinking: only VS calls underwear "panties." I never say "panties." Unless I'm talking about how I never say it because I prefer "underwear." Panties just sounds way more sexy than underwear but underwear is way more practical than something called panties. But even when I wear something a little more sexy than plain briefs (even though they were purchased from VS) I still call it underwear.

Normally I have deeper thoughts than this, but I figured this subject would provoke absentee commenters to show me some love. So, which is it: panties or underwear?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good point. Underwear is such a blanket term, ladies might as well just say undegarments like their grandmothers. Guys wear underwear too, but that doesn't mean panties (usually). But let's just talk women for a moment; what qualifies as something you wear...well under...your clothes, that is? Bras, panties, stockings, pantyhose, garter belts, slips, long-johns, girdles, thigh highs, nylons, leggings, bustiers, tank tops, camisoles, teddies, babydolls, etc. No, you may not wear all of these or really all that many, but all of them are underwear, so why confuse a conversation with such an ambiguous term. Guys don't do it, why do you? If you're reading this then chances are you don't excite your partner as much as you want to. Just say panties, your innocent submissiveness will fuel an otherwise inaccessible fire, I assure you ;-)