11.17.2004

I'm dreaming of a white....wedding dress?

I have, in fact, had two dreams since Sunday about wedding dresses and they were all white. I'd almost rather dream about being at work...

So, I find myself in a bit of a quandary. When I first started thinking about my wedding attire, I was thinking something red. So, I did a little research and did a little shopping and found that if I wanted a red dress I would have to: have one made; buy an expensive gown made with natural silk that could be dyed; buy a bridesmaid dress; have one made. So, I go shopping last weekend with my mother and I try on, oh, 30 dresses in two days. God, they are so heavy. Anyway, I find two I like but one of them is out of my price range (and only comes in ivory). And the other only comes in white or ivory. I ask if I could have it dyed and was told that synthetic materials won't take dye very well and the final product would turn out streaky and could bleed on to other people's clothes. And I'd be out $500 for the dress plus the cost of dyeing it if the dress didn't turn out well.

So I sleep on it. And...I really like this dress. But it's not red. I'm a non-traditional person who planned to wear a non-traditional dress but then I found myself liking a traditional same-color-family-as-white-dress. Does this mean I'm not the radical feminist I thought I was? Why the hell do I care so much about this? And why can't dress designers make dresses in other colors?!?

But then I found this website and this dress. So maybe there is hope for me to find a beautiful wedding-y dress in red that 1.) doesn't cost an arm and a leg and 2.) isn't a dress you'd find at a Renaissance Fair or modeled after the dress Arwen wore in LOTR.


No comments: