1.03.2008

For better or for worse...

And in this case it was for worse. But before I get to that I really must acknowledge my husband for the wonderful human being that he is, for being my pillar of strength, for letting me cry all over him and for comforting not just me, but my mom and grandma.

A week ago today we found out that my Aunt Mauna was killed in a car accident in Champaign, IL where she lives. We didn't find out until Friday that the guy who caused the accident was driving drunk and that he had 2 previous DUIs and that he was driving on a revoked license. And that he fled on foot and hid in a drainage ditch and the police had to send a dog in to drag him out. And now that man is in jail and the charges against him come with a 35-year prison sentence.

The funeral service was so nice...so personal...so happy and sad at the same time. We recounted funny memories and we got to see the sides of my aunt's life we didn't know much about as evidenced by the very long line of friends, co-workers, neighbors (and a couple ex-husbands) who arrived at the funeral home to pay their respects. And I got a fit of the inappropriate giggles when my cousin sang a song that was a little out of her range and it reminded me of when my Aunt June sang so horribly at my Aunt Susie's wedding.

Anyway, the whole last week has been spent in shock and in mourning. I slept all day on Tuesday and am just now starting to feel somewhat normal. But it's hard to carry on with normal activities when the loss of a loved one is always in the back of your mind. But I need to, we all need to, because we're still here on this earth. And for better or for worse (hopefully more for the better) we will keep on going...all the while missing our loved ones and every fond memory a celebration of our crazy lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love to you. love love love.