11.24.2009

ANXIETY!

Who doesn't have anxiety these days, right? But I have a new anxiety on the horizon and the endless surprise at the cause of my anxiety is giving me more anxiety.

My last day of school is less than one month from today. Good, right? Yes. And no. Yes, it's good that school is almost over. I'm very happy about this. But. Now this means that it's time to get that resume into shape and start applying for jobs. And this gives me anxiety because there are no jobs for new grads in California. Boo. Let me repeat that. There. Are. No. Jobs. For. New. Grads. In. California.

Seriously. This is not me be overly dramatic about an abysmal job market. It's for real. Everyone knows there's a nursing shortage, even here, but that doesn't change the fact that I'm looking outside of CA for job opportunities. And having to convince people that as a new grad I'm at the bottom of the applicant pool for jobs here grows wearisome. So! Carry on smartly, I must! Avoid typing in Yoda-speak, I must! I will be looking for new grad openings around the country, preferably on the West Coast but maybe somewhere near where you live. Didn't you say you wanted a roommate for a year?

For now, tho, I'm putting job stuff on the back burner. Until Dec. 20th, I still have school obligations so I'm not off the hook yet. Then I need to focus on the NCLEX. And theeeennnnnn, on jobs. In the meantime, all I want to do is bury my head in the sand and not come up until hospitals in this state realize that being penny-wise and pound-foolish is not a good long term strategy.

2 comments:

Alissa said...

I TOTALLY want you as a roommate for a year. And I have a big giant house with an empty room waiting for you. And it's cheap to live here. And we're close to public transportation. And we're not too far from Lancaster. And you get to live with ME for a year!

In all seriousness, if you end up considering this area, we have super cheap rent, all expenses included, which would give you extra money in your pocket to fly yourself home to your hubby more often. I know this isn't ideal because it's far to fly home, but I would think there are benefits to being here over being somewhere else far away that isn't close to Lancaster or has higher living expenses attached to it, yada yada. Anyway- just wanted you to know you always have a room here if you want it. Dan's leaving at the end of December, so there is a nice cozy room available to you.

Cara said...

If Seattle floats yer boat at all, the UW has a "new candidate" job bank. Go to washington dot edu and under Employment the listing is for nurse, new graduate (RN2), candidate bank. It's also at Harborview, which is by far the most interesting hospital around! Swedish (GREAT pay) is also hiring at swedish dot org. "Resident/new hire" is the way they classify, and they hire new nurses all the time. Group Health is also hiring (ghc dot org) which is a nice place and we have plenty of friends who are travel nurses and we can introduce you if you'd like. Good luck and congrats on graduation! :-)