8.31.2010

Plugging away...

That's me, plugging away. I've nearly completed orientation for the technical skill portion of my job and am starting training for charge nurse in September. In October, I'll drop back to part time (I'm a 50% employee) and will begin training for the mobile units. Work is good but still overwhelming at times due to the sheer amount of information I need to take in and process. I've done 80 venipunctures to date and have only had a couple hematomas and/or missed veins. Sometimes even the biggest, juiciest vein can roll on you and then you have to attempt an adjustment. And sometimes the vein knows you're coming with that needle (16 gauge, anyone?) and just rolls away again. They're like dogs and can smell fear and apprehension...I don't know how they do that.

I still feel like life is in a state of flux. My work schedule is starting to change which is reflective of what it will look like in a month's time--no more M-F 7:30-4 weeks. I'm still trying to juggle housework and cooking and the dog and my husband and still make time for me to exercise and relax. I can usually get most of it done in a day's time save for the relaxation part. That's harder to squeeze in. This is why it takes me so long to read a book, respond to email and make phone calls. I feel like I have to do all this other stuff, life maintenance stuff, before I can sit down at the end of the day or else if I sit down on the couch, I might not get off it again until it's time for bed. But for now I'm managing. Next month, tho, I hope to include a bit more R&R with Michael and Esme. Honestly, I don't know how anyone with kids is able to do this day in and day out. I feel like it's all I can do to keep my family of two moving in a forward direction every day.

No comments: