9.14.2004

*Onions*

I bought a bag of onions yesterday. Now, this probably doesn't seem like a particularly remarkable event, but for me, buying an entire 3 lb. bag of onions means having reached another stage of adulthood. Adulthood has been a big theme here of late, mostly due to my recent foray into adult issues like financial planning, marriage and now parental health issues. All by my choice, mind you. Well, except for the parental health stuff. I could do without that issue...

Anyway, I'm at the grocery store last night and I need to buy an onion, and they have a bin of really huge onions that I can purchase by unit, or I can buy a 3 lb. bag of smaller ones, which better suits my purpose, but means I have to buy the whole bag. So I look at the price. The 3lb. bag is cheaper than an individual sweet yellow onion (that probably weighs 2 lbs. it's that big) so I put the bag of onions in my cart. And as I am walking through the aisles, I'm reminded of a time when I was little and I thought that willingly putting onions in your food meant you were an adult. See, I wasn't a big fan of onions (most kids aren't) then, and my mom seemed to put a lot in everything we ate. So much so that we were convinced that the meatloaf she prepared had more onions in it than ground beef. Same with the stuffing at T-giving. Even my dad commented that there were too many onions in the meatloaf and he was an adult.

But I digress. So, there I am at the store with a whole bag of onions in my cart. I put them in there, I paid for them and then I took them home with the idea that I will someday use them in my cooking. How did I get here? When did I become a person who sort of likes onions (I still don't like big huge chunks of them and I don't eat them on everything)? And when did I become a person who buys a whole bag of them?

No comments: