6.21.2009

Procrastination nation...

More like procrastination household but I love me some Stphn C0lbert. There are a million things I should be doing right now but I'd rather sit here with my coffee and the internets instead. I should be making appts with the dentist and GP, calling the stupid FAFSA office about my pin, calling financial aid at school, sorting mail, shredding credit card offers we don't need, running the weed whacker, buying some tomato stakes from Lowe's Depot, doing a hundred things for school, call for an appt to get the oil changed and the tires rotated on the car...you get the picture. Serious life maintenance + school work = a crapload of things to do. And now it would appear that I may be coming down with a sinus infection which will throw a monkey wrench into my plans to get it all done. Durr.

In other news, the pediatrics rotation is coming along. I absolutely hated it the first day because I didn't feel in the least bit competent to do my job but it's gotten better. It's just a very overwhelming rotation. Not because you're taking care of sick kids (let's face it, the only healthy hospital stay involves maternity) but because their ages vary, their parents may or may not be present, their parents may or may not be really involved with the kids' care, vital signs are different at different ages, med dosages have to be calculated and at this hospital, the place is overrun by residents and their attendings so there isn't much elbow room. You have patients who have been on the ward for weeks and months and some who just pop in every now and again. There are a lot of congenital disorders and chronic diseases and it's a lot to remember. Honestly, I just don't know how MD's do this. So many signs and symptoms can be indicative of so many disease processes and they all manifest differently in kids. Hell, vomiting and diarrhea alone can indicate umpteen conditions.

For now, tho, I'll spare you the sad stories. You can go over to 6YearMed for that. There are some uplifting ones as well but I need to hang on to those for myself. As with any hospital experience, uplifting and happy moments are like gold.

No comments: