7.29.2009

A visit with an old friend...

A book friend, that is. So, like a lot people I know, I read in bed before falling asleep. And before Michael can make a comment about how I fall asleep before reading 3 pages of anything, I'll just out myself right now. Since I can't stay awake long enough to read more than 3 pages, I usually read books that I've read before like Harry Potter or Calvin & Hobbes. But this time as I was perusing the book shelf, my eyes fell upon "Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret." What fun to reread that book, a book I have read a hundred times since 4th grade. It's the original book I purchased from the Little Professor bookstore that used to be next to Giant but then became the pizza place which then got bought out by Giant when they expanded in the late 80's. Not that you care about the bookstore or Giant.

Anyway, the book has a huge cherry KoolAid stain on it and is a bit dog eared from being so loved. It was fun and silly and I'm so glad I picked it up. I just love rereading some books; it truly is like visiting with an old friend. I'm also rereading "Island of the Blue Dolphins" which Mr. Paone read to us in 6th grade. Scott will probably remember that. Before that it was HP and the Half-Blood Prince. I'm not sure which book will be next (I can guarantee it won't be a new book until the end of August when I'm on break)...maybe some Little House books. I just looooooove the Little House books. Like, love so much that when I commented to a boyfriend that I wished I had a new set and was bummed that my parents didn't get it for me for X-mas he bought me a set. And then I kept it when he tore out my heart and squished it flat. Normally, I would have burned and/or thrown away such a gift but not the Little House books. That would be sacrilege. Just thinking about it makes me want to wander over to the bookshelf and pick up a book. I think I'll start from the beginning. Do you have favorite books that you like to reread?

3 comments:

Alissa said...

I went through a long stretch of grad school where my brain couldn't comprehend anything new, so I felt like I had to keep re-reading old favorites. I think I re-read all the HP books and Bridget Jones books many times over during that period of time. :) But I LOVE Island of the Blue Dolphins. My 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Danner read that to us. I gave a copy to Brittany last year for Christmas.

Kelly said...

It's such a great book. We were leaving the library and the Friends of the SV Library had a sale table by the door and I saw it on the table. I just had to have a copy. Now if only they had a copy of Where the Red Fern Grows. I read that one so many times that the book fell apart and the pages have to be put back if you so much as breathe near it.

Cara said...

I love one called "In the Blink of an Eye". It's about pediatric trauma ER in DC. The book made me want to be a pediatric surgeon when I was a kid. I still have it, dog-eared and covered in stains. The funny thing being, of course, that after a few rounds with docs I realized I could *never* take a scalpel to someone and insert a chest tube. :-) But still, it certainly inspired me to get involved in health care.