7.31.2007


Veg!

As many of you know, Michael and I joined a CSA farm this year and are finally reaping the benefits of our fee and bi-weekly toil on the farm itself. Behold! Chard (apparently we're going to get a ton of this), green beans, tomatoes, banana peppers, corn, lettuce, jalapeno peppers and the very beginning of the carrot crop. This week's distribution is far more....plentiful...from our first distribution which consisted of 5 pea pods, a fistful of lettuce and 1 tiny radish. But then we didn't have rain for ages in the early spring so our veg was a bit stunted.

Anyway, I've already made fresh salsa and tonight I'm making a potato and chard gratin. We had some corn last night but until these braces come off I still have to cut the corn off the cob before I can eat it. Did you ever see the C@lvin & H0bbes strip where Calvin says "It's not summer unless you have corn smooshed in your teeth and butter dripping down your chin?" I'd say he's right on the money.

6 comments:

Carl said...

Yay for veggies! Greenbeans are usually plentiful too so maybe you'll get a big haul of those too. Gotta love greenbeans!

Alissa said...

Mm. I made my own salsa yesterday, too! What did you put in yours? I used onion, lots of cilantro, garlic, and lime juice. It seems to be missing a little something, though. Maybe a pepper, but I didn't want this batch to be spicy at all....

Kelly said...

Well, I put too many jalapeno seeds in but after a day or so it wasn't so hot. I put in garlic, jalapenos, tomatoes (of course) and some red onion. I didn't have any green peps to put in, tho. And I absolutely hate cilantro in large qtys so I don't bother putting it in b/c the rest goes to waste.

Got lots of green beans but the chard? Ick.

Unknown said...

What about the chard didn't you like? I've used it in place of spinach before (when the spinach was hard to come by because of tainting scares) and had some good results.

Kelly said...

I think it's the taste...the potatoes tasted okay so it must have been the chard. Maybe I need to try it in a different recipe--any suggestions?

Unknown said...

I usually either just saute it in a pan with some olive oil and a bunch of fresh garlic or I roast it -- spread it in a pan, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with granulated garlic, add a can of drained white beans, some red onion and grape tomatoes (optional). Roast at 375 for about 5-10 minutes, until the kale is tender and the tomatoes are starting to split.