3.31.2009

Another first...

Today I experienced my first earthquake. It wasn't a big one--4.3 to be exact--and the epicenter was in the south Bay. I was at school when it happened. I heard a loud noise and the building shook a little and I thought "geez, someone must have dropped something really heavy on the second floor to make the building shake." Duh. Actually, I did wonder if it might be a quake but then I assumed it wasn't.

Anyway, no harm done but it's kind of surreal. My mom has been worrying about earthquakes since Michael accepted the job offer out here. That and wildfires, bears, cougars and, get this, tsunamis. We had to reassure her (multiple times) that there are mountains between us and the ocean so there won't be any tsunamis. You just can't reason with a mother who is looking for any reason to worry. You can believe I'm not going to tell her about this. Thank goodness she doesn't read my blog.

1 comment:

Cara said...

My first earthquake out here was the really big Nisqually one (6.4 or something like that). Scared the beejeezus out of me. When we went to Guatemala last year, we had an earthquake. We woke up to the armoire moving across the floor in our hotel room. I said, "we're having an earthquake." Scott said, "maybe a bunch of people are going down the stairs above our room." Hmm. So, yeah, earthquakes. Interesting experiences. :-) We live 2 blocks from the bay, so I keep telling my mom that a tsunamii will never make it this far. Fingers crossed the scientists are right.