6.13.2010

I like to complicate things...

That's what the Tall Man would tell you. Apparently it's never enough for me to just go with the flow as we transition from one thing to another without me wanting to make our lives more complicated. Significantly more complicated. Like, not in the way of "Oh, I think we could use some new throw pillows on the couch, let's go pick some out" but "I think we should adopt another dog. Esme needs a companion."

Seriously, what am I thinking? Okay, I'm thinking with my heart, not my head. All those dogs out there who need a loving home...it just makes me tear up thinking about it. And this is why I started volunteering at the food bank instead of the local animal shelter BECAUSE I WOULD BRING HOME A DOG (OR TWO OR THREE) AND MY HUSBAND WOULD KILL ME. No danger about adopting cats, tho. We're waaayyyyy too allergic for that.

But, no, we aren't getting a dog in case you were wondering. I was just thinking about it. My temp job is keeping me plenty busy and my new job starts in 2 weeks and I have no idea what my schedule will be so there is definitely no chance we'll adopt another dog right now. Instead I start to focus on other things like wanting to buy a townhouse and buying new furniture. We're not doing that either but I like to talk Michael's ear off about how we need better shelving units and I don't want to wait until we buy a house (we're 2 years and lots o' student debt away from that) to buy new shelving units. But then there's that whole thing about buying for the space you're in vs. the future one you hope to occupy that you hope will have more sq. footage. We still have a need but this is hardly a major priority right now.

And then there's the online spanish class I want to sign up for that starts this week. It's a 6-wk course and frankly, it would be good to get started but there's this new job thing and life stuff. Sigh...maybe I should wait until the August session to start. The class isn't going anywhere. But, see? I want to do 5 million things at once because I'm not happy unless I'm running myself ragged. Why do I do that? Poor Michael. He always bears the brunt of these things. And improving my conversational spanish skills are totally important!

There's also the fitness clinic on Wednesday nights and tennis on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons. Michael has soccer 2x a week and the dog has grown accustomed to long walks on a regular basis. Still have to fit all that in. And the cooking. Well, I can tell you that this summer will include lots of grain/veg/pasta salads and/or sandwiches and/or tomatoes with corn on the cob because it is too damned hot to cook. Yeah, yeah, low humidity and all that but we do NOT have air conditioning here and I am not going to sweat my ass off over the stove. That means no pizza unless it's less than 80 degrees outside. Or we turn on the grill. Which reminds me that we really should look into a gas grill. Charcoal takes too long.

We also do fun social things, too, like bike rides in Monterey or over the Golden Gate Bridge and go to museums and things and so we really don't have time for new hobbies, new dogs or really anything new but my job. And you can see that we have plenty going on around here. Note to self: we have plenty going on around here. Don't make life more complicated than it needs to be.

I'll report back and let you know how that works out.

No comments: