6.28.2010

Whew! They liked me...

I had a good first day at one of my new jobs--the private practice. As it turn out, I'll be working 3 part time jobs for the foreseeable future. I'll keep working part time at my friend's office, I'll be working part time at the private practice and then 50% time at the blood center. I start work at the blood center next week. I'm kind of freaked out by it all, to be honest.

It's a huge responsibility to be a nurse and to not only remember what you learned about pathophysiology and treatment but also meds, side effects and then staying current on treatments and therapies. Frankly, it's intimidating. And I realize that I'm going to have to start putting in time with my med-surg books and reading up on patho. Now, I don't really need this for the blood center--not necessarily. That should be pretty straight-forward: healthy people who aren't IV drug users or who have sex for money, etc. Of course, there is that whole issue of not allowing gay men to donate blood. It's very unfortunate but blood centers nation-wide are currently not willing to budge on this issue. But, not a lot of patho there and meds are pretty much limited to blood thinners and cancer treatments. And on top of it, I need to do venipuncture which I have not done since December. Oy.

So...3 part time jobs. That seems like it's going to be a lot. My schedule will vary from week to week but I'm grateful to be working and getting different work experiences is a good thing. Plus earning extra money is helpful--the loan repayment starts now and the dog needs to have her teeth cleaned at the end of summer. And my crock pot crapped out on us last night and needs to be thrown away and replaced with a new one. If it's not one thing, it's another, right? Anyway, it's going to be a very busy summer as I get started with my new jobs and get settled into a new routine. Don't be surprised if you don't hear from me very much over the next month.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Yay! Congrats on the jobs, so happy for you. :-)

gwen said...

You are good and brave. Just reading the word "venipuncture" makes me feel squirmy (and also very glad that it doesn't make everyone feel that way, so that we have awesome smart educated nurses who can deal with us).