6.21.2010

Tomorrow is a big day...

Tomorrow I am doing the first day of a 2-day "try out" at a private internal medicine practice in Menlo. One of the M.D.'s is the wife of one of the Tall Man's co-worker's and they are in need of yet another part-time PRN (as needed) nurse. So, I interviewed and tomorrow is my first day. My new permanent job at the blood center doesn't start until the beginning of July so I am still working part time for my friend which makes it all the better to do my trial run at this new practice now. Except that now I have to show up and do a job as a nurse. Holy crap.

Folks, in case you missed it, I have been unemployed for a long time and have not done any *nursing-type work* since December. Um...yeah. That's a long time to go without doing any work, you know. Not that I haven't dispensed nursing advice (at the request of others, of course, except for unsolicited cautioning about using sunscreen and staying hydrated in the heat) but it's not the same as putting skills and critical thinking into practice. I mean, I actually have to check BPs and pulse rates and ask people why they are being seen today and filter that information through my nursing brain and then give injections and talk about med interactions. Can I just tell you that I don't remember a single damned med from nursing school? I am screwed, I tell you.

So, today I will hunt down my stethoscope (which I finally got engraved with my initials--sharpie rubs off with alcohol wipes), dust off my "cootie" watch and go buy some scrub pants that are 1.) not white and 2.) fit. Also, the shoes. I refuse to wear my shoes from school and those bad boys are headed for the trash can. I could recycle them but they are covered in cooties so I am not going to do that. So, shoe shopping. And then I'm going to refresh myself on some skills and look over some meds. Typical stuff like blood pressure, cholesterol and cardiac meds.

Don't get me wrong: I'm excited about doing this and looking forward to such a great opportunity to expand my work experience but it's a little scary and I also really hope I do a good job and they'll want to hire me. It will only ever me a PRN position, which is fine, but I want the experience and the extra money is good, too. In some ways, I'm a little bit glad I didn't get a bedside position because frankly, right now I would be crapping my pants. For realz, as the kids say. On the other hand, I wish I was getting more bedside experience but that's not how it worked out. And I have the rest of my career to return to the bedside if I wish. The whole thing is just so weird. When I started nursing school I didn't really know how it would all turn out--I just assumed I'd be at the bedside at some hospital and would figure it out from there. Except life doesn't work out that way and especially not during a time where there is a significant shortage and yet hospitals have their heads up their asses about hiring and orienting new grads.

But here I am and I'm finally moving on with my life with a shiny new career. Nothing can change the fact that I made it through school, passed my boards and have those fabulous initials behind my name: RN. So, this RN better get her rear in gear and start getting ready for tomorrow. It's going to be a big day.

3 comments:

gwen said...

Yay, Kelly RN! I know I told you this already, but I sort of like the idea of you at a private practice. That is so many people's first and most memorable experience with nurses (I still remember one of the nurses from my pediatrician's office... not fondly. but I know they will remember you fondly.)

Kelly said...

Awww...I hope so. This is an internal med practice so no peds (thankfully--b/c the last thing I want to do is argue with a pushy parent over why their kid is not going to get antibiotics for a cold/flu virus) but lots of older adults and I enjoy OAs. They're often so interesting and have great life stories.

hefk said...

Nurse Kelly to the rescue!
You will be so great.