10.24.2008

3 songs...

One day last week I drove to work instead of taking the train and on the way home I was listening to my favorite station: NPR (psst! Have you made a pledge to your local station yet?). The 'California Report" was on and while I don't remember the name of the guy whose story I was listening to, his story goes something like this: because he works for iTunes, he was put in charge of putting together a CD of songs to be played at his aunt's funeral. He talked about what to choose and why and the clash of religious beliefs between family members and what the deceased would have wanted. And then he mentioned the 3 songs he knew he wanted played at his funeral and listeners were invited to submit their 3 songs.

I've been thinking about this for a week now and it's been hard to decide which 3 songs but today's list is as follows: Elton John's "Your Song," Elvis's "Blue Christmas" and Louis Armstrong's "La Vie en Rose." I'm sure tomorrow's list would look different, as would one from next week, next, year, etc. But today, here's my list. What's yours?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's impossible to choose just 3, but probably I'd pick "Lucky" by Radiohead, "Sand & Water" by Beth Nielsen Chapman, and even though it's totally cheesy, "Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music soundtrack (always makes me misty-eyed).

Michael said...

I keep wanting to be sarcastic with "Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Good-Bye" or "Burn, Baby, Burn!"

I admit this kind of freaks me out a little, because my dad came up with his list in the middle of his midlife crisis. ("Impossible Dream" is the only one I remember for sure. Probably a Streisand song, too. Maybe "Don't rain on my parade")

My choices are "The River" by Garth Brooks, "Man In Motion" from St. Elmo's Fire and "Moving Right Along" from the Muppet Movie.

What can I say? I am a sucker for the metaphor of life as a journey.

Cara said...

Ha, I like the idea of "Burn, Baby, Burn." :-)

This is a hard question. I'm not sure what else I'd choose, but "What a Wonderful World" would be one of the songs.