10.14.2008

What they don't tell you about taking public transportation...

Is that sometimes people purposely or accidentally jump or walk in front of said transportation and get themselves killed. I'm not trying to make light of this because it's a horrible thing. And while it is frustrating to be waiting for the train and wondering why it's late, mostly I'm just thinking about those poor people being killed by an oncoming train. Yesterday's accident was the 2nd one in the past 30 days and the 10th for the year.

I'm sure that most of these deaths are intentional but surely some are accidents...but then I wonder how that is even possible. If you're deaf, you can certainly see the trains and feel the vibration and if you're blind you can hear them and feel the vibration but...I don't know. Are these people zoned out and don't realize what they're doing? I just can't wrap my mind around this. According to C@ltrain spokespeople, at least 5 this year were suicides, 1 was an accident and 2 unknown. No word on the last 2 fatalities.

I realize that things like this happen everywhere but it makes me sad. Sad for those who are killed, sad for their families, sad for the train engineer and conductors and sad for the commuters who try to stop people from going out on the tracks. It's a sad day indeed here in sunny California...

4 comments:

gwen said...

I don't think Metro ever came out and admitted it, but I am almost sure that in DC, the accidents were people being pushed by the crowd surrounding them, waiting for the train. It always freaked me out and I hated standing near the edge.

Kelly said...

Really? Who does that? Is everyone in such a rush that we need to push and shove people to get where we're going? And then get them killed? Next time I ride the metro I'll be sure to stay good and far away from the edge.

Alissa said...

It seems like a bunch of stories that I've read recently involve people texting while walking near train tracks and they just aren't aware of what's going on around them and get hit. It seems like everywhere you go people are not paying attention to anything because they're on their cell, texting, or listening to their ipod.

Kelly said...

So true. I've heard about it happening in NYC and people just walk right out into traffic b/c they're too busy texting to pay attention. Frankly, I can't imagine doing that.