10.02.2008

When the only thing that makes you feel better is a bag of Doritos...

That's where I am right now. School has taken over almost every waking moment of my life that is not spent at work, commuting to and from work, bathing, walking the dog and cooking/eating. And still I struggle. Online classes seemed so ideal in some ways and now...not so much. It's the method of testing. In one class, we're told to read 36 chapters and then take a 25-question MC exam in 50 minutes. 36 chapters. Seriously? Now, to be fair, they're not all really long chapters but you can't even ask one question per chapter.

In the other class, we take weekly 10-question MC quizzes and those are better. We don't cover as much material but the questions are still hard. If you're taking an open-book and open-note test then the questions get much trickier. Not fun. It's doable, of course, but I'm not a good test taker within this format so it makes it worse. But now I'm down to the last 3 and 4 weeks of classes. I know I'm looking forward to a little time off between the end of October and the holidays. Then I'll have time for leisurely reading and baking and painting. Did I just say that? Painting? Am I crazy?

7 comments:

gwen said...

Oof. I hear you. I am not hating my online class, but I'm not loving it either -- for us, it's not quizzes but group work that's the big challenge. Doing a fairly intensive project with four other people you've never met or even spoken to in person, when you have no idea what their styles or skills or approaches to deadlines are... not so fun.

And we have online quizzes for my in-person class, actually, but there's a saving grace -- you can always take them twice. I wish that for you... 36 chapters for one quiz is totally insane!

Kelly said...

You get to take them twice?!? I want to do that. Well, technically, I can take them twice but only if the server has a blip when I'm submitting my answers (it's actually not so fun to take it then).

Cara said...

Are there chapter summaries? Can you emphasize those and then skim the rest? That is really barfy. Do you think they'll give you a question that might cover numerous chapters?

Kelly said...

It's just so random. She gives us power pts and they are somewhat helpful in guiding us and sometimes I do just read the chapter summaries but I hate feeling like I'm not really learning the information and am only learning enough to take the test. It just seems like this is important information. You know, medications, and all that. Drug-drug interaction? Pshhhh. Or teratogenic effects? Whatev.

This week is even better, tho. We were assigned a meager 3 chapters spanning GI drugs and disorders but were told to do the study guide chapters on completely different material. Like, on allergic rhinitis and colds. WTF?!?

Cara said...

Wow. That is a huge bummer. Do you have access to Micromedex through school, or Goodman and Gilman's online? I've always found those to be helpful in a pinch for good bullet points.

Michael said...

You are not crazy for wanting to paint. You get crazy WHEN you paint. I have the over/under at 2.5 walls before you say, "Why did you let me do this?"

Kelly said...

Laugh it up, Tall Man. I'm taking you with me to Crazy Town...