5.19.2009

Springtime explosion...

It's very much springtime here and headed quickly toward summer. The trees are green, roses are blooming and grasses are starting to turn "golden" as the state motto goes.

The produce at the market is once again bountiful and delicious but my daily allotment of time to spend in the kitchen has been overtaken by school as usual. Still, I'm finding time to try new recipes per my "try 3 new recipes a month" goal. So far this month I made caramel chocolate matzah crackle and mock spanish rice. Next up will be this yummy quiche. What's not to love about hashbrowns and a cheesy quiche all in one dish?

As for gardening, I have purchased a bit of everything in the herb department and will be transplanting everything later this week into a large pot. I also have some tomatoes and a pepper plant to transplant. Unfortunately I already killed the cilantro. Don't even ask me how I managed to do that. Unlike Alissa, we don't have bunnies around here to eat our veg but we do have a rotten brat of a dog who likes to tear around the yard like a maniac and I swear to Ogg if she touches my potted plants I'm going to sell her to the monkey house.

I'm excited to note that our cherry tree has actual cherries on it and I can't wait to pick them. Most of them are out of reach so I'll have to enlist Michael to do the picking. Our landlord told us that peach trees only bear fruit every other year so we should get peaches this year. I'm not so sure about that since the tree looks a bit sickly but who knows? I'm no expert on fruit trees so we'll see what happens. I'm been thinking about buying a citrus sapling but haven't decided which would be best. They're not cheap and I don't want to buy more than one at this time. What do you think: lemon or lime? Lemon is good for fish, garnishes, lemonade, yummy desserts like these lemon bars, hummus and well, almost anything but limes are good too. Limes for guac or spritzing over mexican dishes or limeade. Maybe the lemons would be better?

5 comments:

Cara said...

I have no idea if this is the case in Cali, but my Floridian folks have found that in some areas people have better luck with limes and some people have better luck with lemons. Depends on the soil. I have no idea about your neighborhood, does it seem they grow equally there? If so, I'd go with the more-versatile lemons. :-)

Kelly said...

They do. Every 3rd house in the neighborhood seems to have either a lemon, lime or orange tree and sometimes all 3! Lucky people. Yeah, I think I'm leaning toward lemon. We're going to pot it, tho, so we can take it with us when we move out of here whenever that is. Not anytime soon, that's for sure.

gwen said...

I would go with lemon, too... limes are yum but way less versitile.

Alissa said...

I vote for lemon also. :)

Kelly said...

What?!? Gwen votes for lemons? Lemons aren't made out of chocolate, you know:>