2.26.2010

Hey, jealousy...

While I am genuinely happy for my classmates who have gotten interviews and the few that have been fortunate enough to get jobs already I can't help but feel a bit jealous. Granted, one of my classmates was already working at a hospital as an ER tech and he had an automatic job as an RN as soon as he got his license. The other one got a job at the nursery in a women's prison but that had as much to do with his background as a social worker as anything else. Bu, still, they have jobs that are local and are contributing to the family income.

Another classmate got a job offer this morning. It's at a SNF...I'm not jealous of the job itself but that she got an offer and I have nothing. Hell, she's never had a job before and I have 10 years of professional experience. Durr. I know, maybe I should just march my ass over to a SNF right now and try to get hired. Except that I know that SNFs can be a dangerous place for RNs and I don't want to lose my license. SNFs are notoriously understaffed and what people don't realize is that LPNs and UAPs (unlicensed assistive personnel) are under the supervision of the RN. If they make a mistake or don't turn a patient who develops some crazy ass decubitus ulcer that rapidly becomes stage IV and starts tunneling, guess whose ass is on the line? Also, hiring managers come right out and tell you they won't hire you if you came from a SNF. But, damn, it feels like being caught between a rock and a hard place. And yet, I'm still jealous. What the hell? This just feels like 2001 all over again.

1 comment:

Chunky Photojournalist Barbie said...

Word. Wordy McFucking Word. 2001=not the best year.