2.18.2010

I remember when...

There was a time when I didn't say things like "I remember when..." like some rambling old person who was born back in the time of Christ. Just kidding, I love me some old people. But really, I think I say "I remember when..." or "When I was in college [the first time]..." way more than I used to.

Technology and tech applications are so different than they used to be. Last night I picked out a new cell phone because I am an idiot and fatally wounded my latest replacement. I told they guy to show me the phones that old people buy. And I was being completely serious. Well, almost. I did pick one of those phones but at least I didn't pick the model with the enormous number buttons. Phones are just so complicated these days. I just want one that calls people and lets me send text messages. And I wasn't eligible for one of the slider phones with the QWERTY keyboard because I refuse to pay for a data plan. Or an increased text messaging plan. Remember when you just made phone calls with your phone? Remember the time before cell phones? Geez, that just seems so long ago.

And then there's the job search. Using the internet is nice in a lot of ways and facilitates the search part but it makes applying for jobs hell on earth. I remember when you printed out your resume, typed up a cover letter and drove over to Kink0's to fax your documents. Now, you apply on line and it takes hours to get through one application process. And, as happened yesterday, I was issued an instantaneous rejection letter via email within seconds of submitting my app. Seconds, people, seconds. That's kind of demoralizing. Sigh...I don't know, it just seems like it shouldn't be this hard of a process nor such a long one. And it makes me long for the days of faxing documents from Kink0's.

No comments: