5.29.2010

Job!

It's been a few days since I got my job offer at a place that I am not going to mention here lest I be "dooced." I'd hate for that to happen before I even get started. So, we'll just refer to is as the job I have, doing the work I do at the place where work-type things occur, yeah? Also, the facility name does not lend itself so nicely to switching around letters such that we end up with the Hiami Merald (Hee! I still laugh at that one). And I didn't post it on fcbook because I didn't want to rub it in the faces of my classmates who still don't have jobs. Not that I would go out of my way to rub it in their faces but I don't even want to give the impression of doing such a thing because it sucks to find out that yet another person got a job and your sorry ass is still plugging away at job apps.

Anyway, it's very exciting and I can hardly wait to start in July. My paperwork arrived the other day so it all feels very official now. I mailed back my offer acceptance today and will need to schedule an appointment next week with occupational health to get a physical and TB test, etc. In the meantime, I'll be working 3 days a week for my friend at her chiro practice in Menlo Park and I might be picking up some part time work in a private medical practice also in Menlo. I just want to learn as much as I can and get as much experience as possible so that I can be prepared for whatever the next step will be in my career. It's never too early to be thinking about the next step although what a relief it is to finally have this first job as an RN. Yay!

Am I disappointed that it's not a bedside position? Mmmm, not exactly. Only 50% of nurses are at the bedside and the other 50% are in the community or private practice or schools or occupational health, etc. I think it's a good starting point for me and I'm perfectly happy to be doing what I'll be doing. I'll get to work with the public and a very healthy public at that. I'll be out in the community and meeting new people all the time and I like that. And I'll be trained to be a charge nurse which is a supervisory position and is great for enhancing my leadership skills. It's a good thing, as Martha would say.

And now I'm suddenly hit by this massive rush to get things done around the house before I start work. On Wednesday I finally hacked back the rose bushes in the front yard and pulled weeds/invasive grass species from the front beds. Yesterday I washed and ironed curtains. I still want to scrub down the fridge, remove the glass top from the dining room table and clean both sides of it and polish the table top, steam the creases out of the living room curtains, get the area rug professionally cleaned, vacuum under the bed and sofas, consider making slipcovers for the sofas and planting flowers in the front beds. Is that enough stuff on my "honey do" list? I also need to take another pile of stuff to G00dwill, take the sideboard runner to the dry cleaner (a lemon molded on top of it--ick) and buy tomato plants and pot them. So much to do and so little time.

Oh, did I mention that I'm going to be volunteering at the food bank? I'm excited to do that. I'm going on Tuesday to check out one of the opportunities they offered. I think it will be fun and I'm looking forward to it. I'm sure my husband probably thinks I'm trying to do too much but I've been feeling restless of late and I think all these new opportunities will be good for me. We'll find out soon enough, won't we? I'll go from being home all day to being gone all day and the dog will probably think I've abandoned her. And the cooking! Time to dust off the crock pot and hunt down recipes for tasty summer salads. Good things are coming, I can just feel it.

3 comments:

Chunky Photojournalist Barbie said...

It's good to be busy! :) The job hunt makes everything feel like it's on hold. You've been spinning your wheels for a while; it's nice when everything "catches" and you can get up and go!

Unknown said...

Yay! Job! Congrats -- and enjoy that rush of getting stuff done before the job starts. I know that very well (recently).

Cara said...

Congrats! Happy to hear it.