8.20.2008

The Neti Pot - Day 1...

Michael and I met our new GP this week at the medical office complex from hell and she was very nice. She recommended we use a neti pot which I already have (thank you, Hefk!) but have not yet used. So, I decided today was the day. Our doctor recommended using it in the shower since it's kind of messy until you get used to it but I didn't want to get in the shower yet (showering before tennis=waste of water) so I followed the directions that came in the box and did it over the sink. And I think I did okay. It didn't really go down the back of my throat which was good but I was not prepared for the resulting drippy nose. I blew my nose a few times after I was done but then it kept dripping. Is it supposed to do that?

In the meantime, I had the fabulous idea to unpack my china (seriously, why the hell did I take this stuff from my mother?) so I could put it in the cabinet (now safely secured with earthquake straps--a topic for another time) and managed to drip all over the glass shelves I was cleaning. Gross, I know. By now, the dripping has stopped but I'm left with a bit of sinus pressure on the left side in both my frontal and nasal sinuses. Is that supposed to happen? How soon does that weird there's-something-liquid-up-my-nose feeling go away?

4 comments:

Alissa said...

um... that is....gross. :)

Michael said...

"For only $5 more, you also get an enema and an ear wash for that totally cleaned out feeling!"

Kelly said...

I know and yet it's supposed to be so good for you. My face still hurts. Maybe it's something else unrelated to the neti pot...

And as for you, Mr. Enema-and-Ear-Wash...I know where you live.

Cara said...

So, if you don't like the neti pot, I'd suggest starting out with saline spray. It's a more gentle intro into the world of nasal irrigation. :-) You can buy a bottle (the brand name is Ocean) at W@lgreens, etc., and you shoot it up your nose, simple as that. If you have recurrent issues, you might want to use local steroids, e.g. Rhin0cort or another brand. It's what saved me from being on antibiotics all the time. And if you go the saline spray route, when you shoot it up, you'll taste sea water. Then hock from the back of your throat and spit it out. It's more directed than the neti pot, so I like to use this method w/a sinus infection or serious allergy backup. Works wonders. Good luck with it, and keep the bathroom door closed. :-)