8.04.2008

I guess the cat's outta the bag...

Well, most of you don't know this but the neighbors do...the sale of our house is pending and we close at the end of the week. We've chosen not to discuss this with anyone other than our parents--mostly for superstitious reasons but also because this is so hard. We love our house (although I had some serious moments of intense dislike while prepping it for sale) and our neighborhood and are so sad that we must turn over the keys to new owners. I hope they love our house as much as we do and hope they don't do anything horrible to it like paint the woodwork.

There was a time when we thought we'd live there until Michael retired from the university. But when the tenure process didn't work out and we found ourselves here in CA, we carried on smartly to do what needed to be done. And now that we're (mostly) settled into our new digs and getting used to our new surroundings...I don't know...it's just hard. I wish I could have picked up our house and our neighborhood and moved it here to CA. It's not even that I'm so attached to Dayton...Michael is, but I'm not so much. But I do miss our friends and the familiarity that comes from having lived someplace for a number of years.

What makes it harder is that the buyers have already called the utility companies to transfer the billing and I can't help but feel annoyed that they're doing this when it's not their house yet. I know it's stupid to feel this way but it's our house until they sign on the dotted lines. Our house. I can't believe other people are going to be living in our house...

I think it's good that we live so far away because that gives us the physical distance to lend us the emotional distance we need. We'll always have fond memories of our time there. Admittedly, it's a relief to sell so quickly in this market and to have gotten a good sale price, at that. It's also nice not to have a rent payment plus mortgage payment every month. Still, I can't help but feel sad. I'm really going to miss that house...

p.s. I found the futon hardware--hurray!

4 comments:

Cara said...

Aw, I'm sorry. I understand the mixed feelings. I was happy when my house sold years ago for many reasons, but I still miss the house. I don't miss the guy and the emotional space that went along with it, but I loved the layout and the physical structure. Yay Craftsman. Le sigh. But glad you were able to sell in a crappy down market. :-)

Anonymous said...

Tell the new owners that if they paint the woodwork I'll come over and slap them silly for doing it. :D

-Ko, who can't remember his Google ID

Kelly said...

Thanks, Mark! That makes me feel better. Shall I tell them that a mob of geeks will come over and wreak nerdly havoc if they mess up that house? :>

But, yes, so good to know that we are going to sell after all. I hope. Until everything is signed on the dotted line tomorrow...well, keep your fingers crossed for us!

Anonymous said...

Oh Kelly, I completely sympathize. I wish we could've transplanted our Durham house too. And my old neighbor said that the new owner throws all kinds of parties, and I just cringe to think of him destroying all our hard work (and the repairs that he insisted we do for the sale). grrr.