7.28.2008

It's Christmas in July!

I know I only just packed all these boxes and boxes of stuff from our house in Dayton but opening them this weekend was like having Christmas in July. Ooh! My fiestaware! The coffee pot! Our bed! Our sheets! The clasps for the dog's crate! Whee!

All of the fun-ness was overshadowed a smidge by the occasional discovery of broken or damaged items. Our headboard has an enormous gouge mark in it and a chunk of wood is missing from the face. The mattress is broken. We can sleep on it for now but it will have to be replaced soon-ish because the springs are already poking out of the side of the fabric. The place where we bought it only has locations as far west as OH and WI...I'm just not sure it can be repaired, anyway. Boo. Also, an entire box of coffee cups has to go in the trash. Some of those cups were favorites...the ugly one from LAX that my friend Karen brought me...the pretty blue and white one Gwen's parents bought me when they took me with them to visit Grg her freshman year at Wesleyan...and the funny "disappearing" Bill of Rights mug from my SIL. Boo. I know they're just coffee cups but I love them. Some favorites survived so there's my silver lining.

The furniture is scuffed and lots of things are wobbly. The top of the ship case broke but Michael will have it all fixed by tonight. Oh, and the paint roller extension bar is squashed flat at a pancake. Not a big deal but if I thought it would be squashed beyond repair I would have just given it to my dad. Still can't find the hardware for the futon...we might need to buy new screws and things...All in all, tho, not too bad. The moving company will be hearing from me tomorrow. The headboard and mattress damage is just to great to overlook and losing the futon hardware is just a plain old pain in the arse.

The house is coming together nicely and we're slowly finding places for all of our things. We don't have nearly enough closet space but we're going to hold on to a few of those plastic tubs and will make use of the space saver bags for linens and clothes. The garage has plenty of space and we should be able to park the car in it shortly. We're still sorting out some stuff but I think we can make it all work. But first, I need to empty out the rest of the stuff in the apartment. More pics soon!

No comments: