6.24.2008

My first week...

Well, it's been a bit more relaxing, to say the least. I spend a decent amount of time surfing the 'nets in an effort to take care of business re: the house or trying to find out where the nearest farmers market/CSA/bookstore/T@rget/etc. are located. Now that we've liberated our bike pump and found the helmets, I can ride my bike to all these wonderful places. I'm also looking out for discounts and deals of events and attractions and I am all about using my triple A card and entertainment book for coupons.

In the afternoon I read, walk the dog, cook dinner, write postcards, watch a little f00d network, unpack a box, you know, the usual stuff. Not too strenuous. Until yesterday.

Yesterday I went a little "weekend warrior" on a Tuesday but I didn't do it on purpose. I've been trying to get back into a regular exercise routine now that I no longer have to paint or pack and move heavy boxes around so yesterday I did some circuit training (why didn't I think this one through?) and then walked 4 miles to meet Michael for lunch. We had lunch at this really yummy vegetarian restaurant (sesame eggplant with brown garlic sauce and rice mmmmmm....) and then I picked up my bike from the storage unit and rode it the 4.5 miles home. Then I carried my bike up 2 flights of stairs. Yeah...I'm a smidge sore this morning. And clearly out of shape. Durr.

So, what have we done that's fun and exciting? Well, we went to the alumni event in the city last Thurs and that was fun. I met 2 people who are not just alumni but are from our beloved Lanky-town. One of them had Grg's dad in school. It was nice to chat with people who are from the same little town as you. We took the train in, which was nice, but the trip home took longer since the train stopped at every station. I, of course, fell asleep on the ride home. Can't do that while you're behind the wheel.

Friday, our trailer arrived and I spent the afternoon supervising the movers as they unloaded our stuff into our storage unit. Unfortunately many of our boxes are smooshed and caving in and the stand to our large oval mirror was broken. Until we unpack everything I won't know how much damage has occured but let's hope it isn't too extensive.

Saturday, we did some digging in our storage unit. I found the boxes with our mail, dry goods, clothes and cleaning supplies. We went back on Monday to unearth the tupperware, dish drainer and bike pump and helmets. My socks and underwear? Still MIA. I have one pair of socks that I wash, like, every other day because I refuse to buy more. They're in that damn storage unit somewhere! Along with my sports bras and tennis clothes. Need to find those, too.

Sunday, we didn't make it to Sonoma because there was N@SCAR race and I wasn't about to go anywhere near that. Instead we went into the city and met up with friends. We went to a museum that, alas, we did not enjoy b/c it housed mostly modern art. I don't like modern art. And let me just say that from now on Costa's girlfriends are NOT allowed to pick the museum anymore. Ever. Had I known we were going to be subjected to modern art, I would not have wasted the money on admission. Then we headed down to the Embarcadero and had coffee before heading home to the pooch.

Haven't decided what our plans are for this weekend but now that we have our bikes we'll probably do some exploring around here. We don't have locks yet (they're on order) so we can't really take them into the city yet unless we're not planning to get off of them to do anything fun. I want to check out the farmer's market, maybe visit the fruit stand and go to the library.

I leave you with this photo of a jackaranda tree from the park next to the "compound." They remind me of a purple version of japanese cherry trees and are absolutely gorgeous when they are at their peak of season. In fact, this picture doesn't do it justice. Maybe that's because it isn't a picture of the whole tree. Or because I took it instead of a real photographer.

No comments: